Thursday, June 03, 2004

SWEET! CIA director George Tenet resigns -- for "personal reasons".

Update: Now that I've caught my breath, I can say some more. It's about damn time this happened. I appreciate Bush's loyalty to his workers, but we have had one intelligence mishap after another under Tenet's reign. 9/11, WMD, no OBL.

But it won't be enough to replace Tenet with another spook. This is an opportunity to shake up the CIA and other agencies and mold them in such a way that they can concentrate on fighting the war on terrorism. While I recognize that we have prevented attacks from occurring in our country since 9/11, I still get the sense that we've also been lucky. And we're going to need much more than that in the long run.

Changing the structure of our intelligence agencies won't happen overnight. But we've been putting it off for too long. Let's use the opportunity of Tenet's ouster to make some significant changes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Staunch Moderate
Using Caribou Theme | Bloggerized by Themescook