Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I Agree With Me: I'm a huge fan of P.J. O'Rourke. And he has a great essay on how ludicrous conservative and liberal talk radio and bash books have become. None of them aim to convert anyone. They're all just preaching to the choir. (Hat tip: Southern Appeal)

In addition, he gives us this little tidbit about his political philosophy:

I am a little to the right of ... Why is the Attila comparison used? Fifth-century Hunnish depredations on the Roman Empire were the work of an overpowerful executive pursuing a policy of economic redistribution in an atmosphere of permissive social mores. I am a little to the right of Rush Limbaugh. I'm so conservative that I approve of San Francisco City Hall marriages, adoption by same-sex couples, and New Hampshire's recently ordained Episcopal bishop. Gays want to get married, have children, and go to church. Next they'll be advocating school vouchers, boycotting HBO, and voting Republican.
Reading that essay kind of makes me wonder whom I'm reaching with this blog. I don't expect to change any minds, simply because I don't have time to craft persuasive arguments to support my opinions. I just heave blurbs that describe my initial gut reaction to issues and events.

I get the occasional hate mail. But I also get messages from people telling me that I'm right on. However, I have yet to have anyone tell me that I've shown them the way and that they are shedding their political labels in disgust and will devote their lives to self-righteous indignation toward partisan sheep -- or somesuch.

At the very least, I just hope some partisans read this blog and realize that the people who believe in Policy X (whatever it may be) aren't hateful, immoral demons (on either the right or left), but that we are rational people who want the best for the greatest number of people. That's all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Staunch Moderate
Using Caribou Theme | Bloggerized by Themescook