Thursday, July 22, 2004

Spotlight: Ideally, it shouldn't matter what celebrities say about political matters. But it bugs me, and it seems to bug others. It's always been in vogue to rip on the president, but I don't remember it ever being so hateful. Now I can't help but lose respect for those in Hollywood who stoop to such levels.

Susan Surandon is a great actress who has made great movies. But now every time I see her, I can't help but think of how she despises President Bush and believes we invaded Iraq for oil and American imperialism.

Tim Robbins is a funny guy and an entertaining actor. But I lose respect for him when he accuses Bush of oppressing opposition speech and curtailing our freedoms. Mr. Robbins, of course, says this from a televised news conference at the National Press Club. Some oppression, eh? Then he threatens bodily harm against people with whom he disagrees.

Pearl Jam, Whoopi Goldberg, et al -- they feel the need to bash Bush. It should be easy to dismiss their criticisms. After all, they are no policy experts, and they have no idea really what they're talking about. But that just makes it worse. Everybody has a right to free speech, but don't expect everyone else to respond positively.

So when the Dixie Chicks say they're embarrassed about President Bush, many people boycotted their music. The Chicks cry censorship, but that's not true. The public is just exercising their right to respond.

The Dixie Chicks still have freedom of speech. But anything they say can and will be used against them. That's what public discourse is all about. If you say something stupid, I'm allowed to tell you that. And I should not be forced to listen to your rubbish if I don't want to. Nor do I have to watch your movies or listen to your music.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Staunch Moderate
Using Caribou Theme | Bloggerized by Themescook